Share with Widgetbox

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Wideness in God's Mercy

For Christians the image above of the cross symbolizes the wideness of God's mercy and grace in accepting tired, stumbling people into His arms of love. When I observe the Church and talk to Christians I see something different; I see acceptance and love with very tight boundaries that are more to do with cultural preference and narrow middle-class values than grace.

The late Rich Mullins wrote a song called "The Love of God" and today I was sitting having a coffee when I recalled these words:

"There's a wideness in God's mercy
I cannot find in my own
And He keeps His fire burning
To melt this heart of stone
Keeps me aching with a yearning
Keeps me glad to have been caught
In the reckless raging fury
That they call the love of God."
Now THAT is love that I want to be a part of. "The reckless, raging fury that they call the love of God."
Sometimes life tries to beat me down. Over the last couple of months I have been tired and lonely but this morning I lifted myself and stepped in the reckless, raging fury of God's love and I am determined more than ever to tell people Christians, non-Christians, straight and gay that God loves them with a passion that is unsurpassed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This and your other blogs are lovely, Les. Keep up the good work - you express yourself beautifully and are obviously passionate about your subject matter too. Sorry to hear you have had a rough time lately, and I hope things will continue to improve for you.

All the best, Quin

sarah said...

amen to this...awesome post..stay strong ok. sarah

Shannon Jacobyansky said...

I happened upon your blog and read your piece...although I do fully believe there are no coincidences in life. I love this piece. I agree with you whole heartily! Love wins over all!

Just Another Stupid Blog said...

This is wonderful Les! I appreciate your work.