Share with Widgetbox

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I won't back down


In what has been an interesting couple of weeks to say the least I have received much support but also some criticism for continuing to speak up for the rights of Gay and Lesbian Christians.
Some of the criticism has been quite hurtful but I refuse to back down from writing and speaking on this issue. I will continue with my thesis and blogging because I think it is important to maintain a voice of social justice and to continue to define and redefine the extent of God's love and grace.
This blog is here to stay. I will not stop writing or speaking on issues that I believe are important. If anyone in NSW or further afield (with some notice) wishes me to speak at their church or gathering I would be happy to.
If you feel excluded by the church or have felt excluded and damaged in the past please email me confidentially. I am happy to support and encourage those who have felt discarded by the institutional church.

2 comments:

Wickle said...

Sounds reasonable to me!

As an Evangelical, I find it curious that so many of my kindred find homosexuality to be so much worse than any other sin, enough so that it bypasses the need to remove the planks from our own eyes.

I figure that I have more than enough sin in my own life, I don't need to go looking for anyone else's.

Is homosexuality a sin? I'm not absolutely certain, and I don't really care. I don't struggle with that one, I struggle with other ones. Rather than go looking for a pointless fight, I'll deal with those instead.

In the meantime, you're right to defend gay Christians. While no one would question that a greedy Christian or a Christian who drinks too much is still a Christian (just one struggling with a problem), somehow it's deemed impossible for someone to be both gay and Christian. I have a problem with that.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could go do a talk at Redfield Catholic school, they were getting folk to sign a petition so that gay couples can't adopt, the sign at the front of the table said "Save our Children" (this was at a school fete, it made my blood boil, I'm a straight married female btw) I wanted to tear up the petition and have a go at the woman at the stand, this kind of discrimination and hate makes me sick.