Share with Widgetbox

Monday, May 11, 2009

A story of magic

I have just finished watching Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium with Samuel and Thomas. It is the second time we have seen it and I still got sucked in by the magic and wonder of the story and it feels SO good to be captivated by the special things in life.

The story is about a magical toy store run by Mr Magorium who is 243 years old. The toys are alive and bouncing and it is a haven for children of all ages. The secret is that Mr Magorium believes in the store but one day he announces that he is leaving. In fact he says that he is "leaving this world" and he hands over the store to his young assistant.

The assistant is horrifed. She doesn't want Mr Magorium to "leave" and to make matters worse the store reacts badly and eventually shuts itself down and all the magic departs as well as the customers. The movie has a wonderful moment when assistant takes Mr Magorium on a special day to help him see the magic of life. He understands at the best last day of life ever. They jump on beds in a bedroom store; they roll out a giant sheet of bubble wrap and dance on it to the sound of popping and laughter and they set all the clocks in a grandfather clock shop to the same time so the whole store breaks out into chiming at the same time.

As the film continues the assistant must either sell the store or discover the source of the store's magic. We had a great time. Thomas and I were lying on bean bags and had a big blanket over us. Samuel was curled up under his blanket and we laughed and imagined and dreamt dreams.

We agreed to hunt out giant bubble wrap and take it to one of the shopping malls to dance. Thomas wants to put out a hat to see if we can get some money!

For the past 6 weeks I have had Thomas off school. For most of that time Thomas and I have been in our new house. I have him for 5 nights a week but due to behavioural issues I agreed to take him out of school before the end of last term and we have only just got word on funding for a teacher's aide and his case worker is liasing with the school to make his reintroduction a more positive experience for everyone.

I have to say we have had the best time. I recalled this when Mr Magorium's assistant said that they needed to wait 37 seconds for the clocks to start chiming. He replied "No. We breathe. We pulse. We regenerate. Our hearts beat. Our minds create. Our souls ingest. 37 seconds, well used, is a lifetime."

6 weeks well used has been a lifetime of memories. We have climbed up to the helicopter in McDonald's playgrounds; we have swung on swings; we have laughed, hugged and sung songs; we have bought large cuddly toys and had heaps of fun.

There is still magic in the world if only we take the time to look and realize that 37 seconds well used is a lifetime.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a tough, long and heartbreaking road being the seperated parent of a boychild with behavioural issues. Complaints are many and compliments few. There comes a time where the problems are foremost in the minds of those who educate our children and there is almost a lack of willingness to look past the behaviours to the wonder of these children and their specialness within. I know. My estranged 14 yr old son (who is the love of my life) and I, spent time together this evening for the first time since November. I cried a lot and so did he and we talked about a lot of things that needed to be said involving all the behaviour problems which had ripped us apart and brought us to this point. We clung to each other tightly afraid to let each other go again. I feel a great peace within, having taken up his request to see me and start repairing the relationship. I am back in church just to sit for awhile and receive the guidance of the Lord. People are quick to judge the parents of these children. I think it comes down to one simple philosophy : "There but for the grace of God go I". Good luck with your son. May he continue to be the joy that he is.

demetrios1 said...

My dad was my best friend. He passed on at 57, much too young. But even today, my fondest memories are taking Saturday afternoon naps with him, fishing and our "secret" 2:30 a.m. breakfast talks, before he went to work at 4.

Thomas is lucky to have a dad that know how and enjoys to spend time with him.

Thanks for sharing!

Pickledeel said...

It is a tough gig alright but that is a wonderful perspective. I figure if there is a part of me that remains 18 (or younger) then that can't be such a bad thing.

Peter P said...

Great post Les!