Share with Widgetbox

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Looking Back to Go Forward

What a year. I haven't blogged in a while partly I think because the cumulative crap of this year piled up and landed in a heap on me as I reflected on 2008.

Went to UK at end of 2007. Didn't go all that well with my family. Came home to Oz a week earlier than scheduled. Falsely accused and stood down from ministry in my local church. Cleared by authorities but no apology or support from church except for a handful of people.

Ongoing problems with my middle son's autistic developments. Naturally there were tensions in the marriage with all the crap floating around. Where was God in all this?

Even though I feel like the man in the picture stretched to breaking; trying to find a way out of this year in one piece my confidence in God's love has never wavered. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I have an abiding trust that God is there for me and my family.

I think this is why I find myself at the end of the year attempting church in a pub and driving a taxi because I want to meet people who need to find a deep sense of hope and purpose and tell them about this wonderful God who has loved us and sustained us through 2008.

Thank you to each of you who reads this blog, contacts me on facebook and has shown love and support that has really touched me deeply. Have a wonderful Christmas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Les,

I found your blog via facebook and specifically through the "Recovering Pharisee" page. I just want to tell you that I am praying for you, and I hope God blesses you and your family immensely. You are doing a great thing by pressing on when there seems to be so much coming against you. God sees that and is touched by it. Jeremiah 29:11 is my favorite verse. I feel like it would bring a smile to your face.

Also, I have been looking for some missions opportunities overseas. I have no idea what that entails for me, but please feel free to suggest anything that you believe could be a help over where you are. Thanks so much. My email is sacker@bgsu.edu


*God bless and have a wonderful Christmas

_Sarah Acker

Kendall said...

Hi Les,

I can hear the God saying, "well done good and faithful servant. Know that by submitting to me, resisting the devil, will lead the devil to flee from you, a defeated foe". It is by submitting to God and together standing against the devil, that causes the devil to wimper away from you. So I look for season to change for you and your family, my friend. And remember, that you are not alone. Give me a call when you get a chance. Hope you Christmas was blessed.

Kendall

Tim said...

Les, I couldn't agree more with Sarah and Kendall. Remember Jesus's promise--if we're faithful over a few things, He'll make us rulers over many. Ask any minister who's accomplished great things about his/her early days and you'll find your present situation to be very similar to theirs. But we don't get to big stuff without proving our fortitude and humility to master the little stuff.

The pub and the taxi are your proving ground, my friend. What you're learning and experiencing now is preparing you to handle what's coming. Don't be weary in well-doing; in due season, you'll reap a harvest of blessings if you don't give up.