Share with Widgetbox

Sunday, June 15, 2008

40


On Thursday June 12th I turned 40. I have the most wonderful few days with family and friends celebrating and reflecting on all of the good that is in my life.

Today, Sunday, we held a party at my house which my wonderful wife spent a long, long time preparing with the help of her sister. The last few months have been fraught with difficulties but my wife has stood by me with admirable faithfulness and trust which I do not take lightly.

I reflected this evening on the people that attended the party and I am so fortunate to have friends who are not "pew sitters" or casual spiritual travelers but people who are serious about their faith and the need for it to be a lived faith. I am not sure how well I would have made the past weeks and months without some very, very supportive friends.

All of this has bought home to me the need for us to get serious about Christian community. The word "community" should not be a convenient buzzword for Church strategy meetings but it should be a mindset that churches adopt that fans out into the community.

Sadly, from our recent experience, we have encountered people that espoused community rhetoric but opted for judgment and gracelessness when the chips were down. This is not the example that Jesus presented to His Church.

If you are reading this then you are also a part of my network and for that I am also grateful. I grow as I learn from others and I appreciate all of my associations and the polishing that they bring to this rough gemstone.

I am confident that God has great things in store for me and my family in the years to come. God has shown His faithfulness to me and I am going to tell the world.

2 comments:

Tauratinzwe said...

They say, "Life begins at forty." If that's so, what ends at thirty-nine?

Congratulations on forty years of survival. May your life truly find a new beginning in the midst of your trials.

Christopher said...

Les, Congratulations on turning 40. My daughter Sarah graduated from high school, and the next day moved in to a community home in the inner city in St. Paul, where some young people from church are starting a community ministry. I suppose we are an extended part of it. The group is pretty diverse, with a couple people who grew up in the inner city. 1 John 4 says Love is perfected in the way we love one another.

YBIC,
Christopher