Share with Widgetbox

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Of the writing of essays there is no end...

I finished "Shantaram" and what a fantastic book it was. Roberts, the author and subject of the book, moved on from the Indian slum to become embroiled in the Mumbai mafia and finally took part in smuggling arms into Afghanistan in the 80s to support the war against the Russians. I guess what kept me immersed in the book was the depth of emotion and the search for love and true meaning in the midst of chaos and uncertainty. Roberts' use of metaphors was beautiful and my essay fell onto the back burner for a while.

I have nearly completed a 3,000 word paper concerning the life of Sir Winston Churchill and how developmental theory can help offer insight into his life-span. It is a demanding but very rewarding essay.

This Saturday is my Developmental Issues exam and then a short break.

Today is Daniel''s first birthday so it is a very jovial home as we prepare for his party this afternoon.

I have been struggling with depression the past 3 or 4 days and "Shantaram" reminded me to keep holding on to the beautiful things of life despite the encroaching darkness.

3 comments:

Colin A. Lamm said...

Hello Les,

I've been checking in every once in a while since June 10th (your last post before this one). I've been praying for you over the course of that time.

In the fall of last year (okay, September) I did some extensive reading on the Life of Winston Churchill. Your paper fascinates me. Perhaps you can share some snippets of its particulars in future posts. It would be quite interesting.

Happy Birthday (belated, of course), to your son Daniel!!

Alice C. Linsley said...

May our gracious Lord lift you up, Les. And may the joy of your loving family sustain you.

Happy Birthday, Daniel. And May more years!

Les, I hope that you will visit my blog Just Genesis again, if you find it helpful.

Janice said...

Shantaram is indeed a wonderful book. I need to revisit it soon. May you continue to be lifted out of any depression. :)