Share with Widgetbox

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Tragedies

A few weeks ago I attended the funeral of a good friend who died in her early 30s and have since had chance to spent some time with the husband and young son who were left behind to restructure their lives. Today I received a phone call from a close friend to tell me that the baby his wife is carrying is thought to be dead. We talked briefly and (he is studying at Bible College) he bought up the issue of God's place and purposes in this matter. I had no answers.

I found this quote by Alfred North Whitehead:
"The deepest definition of youth is life as yet untouched by tragedy"

As we watch our youth vanish in the distance I want to know how to walk with others through the barren places of life with no words and no answers simply a sharing of pain.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some years back we lost a baby at 9 days old. A close christian friend of ours said to me at the time that if it had happened to him it would have cost him his faith. Yet we found Jesus inexplicably close to us and never wavered. Why? I don't know, but we did ask the Lord why had we lost our son - and we heard the rather surprising answer 'there is a 'reason why' but it isn't yours to know'. At that point I guess we had a choice - to labour it or to release it. We released. I still grieved my son for years, but we moved on intact, adn in a strange way with his loss just becoming part of our new richer lives. God does move in mysterious ways!

Christopher said...

Edith Schaeffer once said that the biblical response to the sorrow and suffering in this world is grief and anguish. Moltmann's Crucified God brings this out well.

Hopefully at some point we can move beyond the grief and anguish to find hope again. But there is a time when grief and anguish is the best response. For me, it is a freeing thought. To know that God is a passionate God who knows the ultimate grief and anguish is also a comfort, because it tells us that we are not alone in our grief. He is there with us both comforting (blessed are those who morn, for they shall be comforted) and weeping.

Les said...

Thanks for the comments.

My pastoral care lecturer said that the notion of "closure" is misleading. There is a healing process arising out of grief and loss but never closure.

I agree that "The Crucified God" works at addressing the issue of pain and God's personal interaction with grief and loss.