Share with Widgetbox

Sunday, June 25, 2006

More Reflections...

As I considered the issues from the previous post I realised that one of the difficulties in trying to capture one's thoughts in a Christian blog of this nature is the fact that Christianity is not a simple matter of rules and regulations. In fact, it is a journey where the spiritual world overlaps with the material world. It is a journey where the Kingdom of God is here and yet is to come. It is a journey where our flesh and spirit compete for prime time in our lives.

A friend of mine described this situation as speaking out against "blueprint Christianity". This is a great metaphor but it begs the question if we don't possess a blueprint what do we have in its place? I suggest that one thing that we have is "Life in the Spirit" to use Juergen Moltmann's term. This suggests a life grounded in biblical principles, a life committed to seeking out and living God's will but it also a life characterised by the metaphors of the Spirit including wind and fire which are both fluid concepts that aren't easily explained or captured.

I re-read Psalm 130 and was struck by verse 5

I am counting on the Lord; yes, I am counting on him. I have put my hope in his word.

The Word of God is the Bible and it is Jesus, the logos, the word become flesh.

The Psalmist is counting on the LORD, who is Jehovah, God. He puts his hope in God's word which we can conceive as the Bible, as Jesus, the logos and in a sense it is also the Holy Spirit because Jesus said that when He went he would leave an advocate and a comfort who would guide His people into all truth. Yes, I am taking a Psalm from a post-Pentecost perspective but I think it opens up both the richness and complexity of living for God. One thing I do know is that I can count on the Lord and I can put my hope, confidently, in His word.

1 comment:

Joey Cavalier said...

Les, good thoughts...

I think that you are right...In the place of the "blueprint" we have "life in the Spirit."

A life lived in unity with God in order to know Him and advance His ongoing mission of grace, freedom, redemption, and unity...God's purpose was to create humans to participate in the perichoretic relationship that HE IS, and Christ came to redeem mankind for that purpose...I think what we have in place of the "blueprint" is a mission, where we partner and participate with God, by living in the Spirit...By doing that we bear lasting fruit...

Blessings on you and thanks for the good thoughts...