Share with Widgetbox

Saturday, June 17, 2006

God is a DJ?

I am going to begin an in-depth exploration of the theology of Juergen Moltmann in order to get a grasp of his thinking and to integrate it into my own theological framework. Moltmann poses many questions, some answers and he presents a schema through which to begin to view our own unique part of the world.

I am sat at my Mac writing this with house music playing in the background on ITunes. It caused me to reflect on the Faithless song, "God is a DJ". I have added the question mark in the blog title because I wanted to leave it open for discussion and thought. The name Faithless belies the search for faith and ultimate meaning contained within the song and other works by the group.

Contained in the lyrics are the lines:

This is my church
This is where I heal my hurts

It's a natural grace
Of watching young life shape.
It's in minor keys
Solutions and remedies.
Enemies becoming friends
When bitterness ends.

The song is somewhat idealistic in the sense that hurts can be healed at a nightclub, young life can be shaped (positively?) and the bitterness ends but it also holds the seeds of insight and hope into the longings of youund people (and all people?). Moltmann, if he does anything, presents a theology that is intrinsically relational as this theology emerges from a trinitarian perspective of Christian faith.

Relationships derive, ultimately, from the trinitarian perichoresis which is grounded in faith, hope and love. I want to work through Moltmann, slowly but surely, being careful to hold in tension the real longings and real quest of "non-Christian" people as I encounter them day by day.

I want to use this song and other contemporary music as a vein running through the blog in an attempt to engage with Moltmann, develop my own theology and find a point of engagement with the contemporary mindset.

If God is a DJ then I think that the true shape of ecstacy is to be lost in wonder, love and praise. What does this mean? How does it work out day by day? This is the journey of faith but faith without hope is surely empty?

No comments: